Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hmm I'm still feeling sorry for myself. I don't want to but it's just so easy to. I'm really lazy too. It's probably because I'm so hot, which is because I can't turn on my air because I have no money to pay for it. And I just drank a hot chocolate. I don't know why. Maybe Brian was right and hot chocolate in the summer is never good no matter how rainy or which movies you pair it with. Not that I watched a movie with my hot chocolate.. Just an episode of Dateline entitled, The Spy Who Loved Me. It was not interesting. If you see it on your tv guide just save yourself the time and skip over it.
Being poor could have it's major advantages though. I mean, not real poor, but college poor. Or in other words, the poor that one knows they can go home to their parents if things get too impoverished for their own taste. I mean, just look at the possibilities of my summer of poverty...no food means I am forced to lose weight meaning, maybe I'll actually wear pants come autumn. (I say autumn rather than fall because autumn sounds more Parisian even though the word autumn does not sound French at all.) Anyways..what else is good about being poor? I mean, there's lot's of fun things to do when your poor. You can make your own clothes (though I lack a sewing machine) You can ride bikes around instead of paying for subway passes (though I also lack a bike...and courage to take one out on the road. I'd totally get railed by a Septa bus) You can still go out with friends, as long as there's no cover...and you'd have to be okay with being the douche that only drinks water, or sips on one beer all night (which I must admit has been me) Or you can always pregame your drunkness before you leave...although that would entail buying alcohol to pregame with which I cannot afford right now. When you're poor, it is definitely a bad idea to walk past an Urban Outfitters (or whatever your favorite store may be) But poverty definitely makes you be creative. So I can't go out tonight and celebrate the holiday, whatever, I'm having a great time with this creative blog writing alternative...not that anyone reads this. I had a great dream last night. I hate that the building out my window looks like a Floridian old person's home.
But back to poverty...I guess it's not all that fun when you're being poor alone. I mean, it can be at first, like an adventure of survival...but then it just gets old. I want someone to spend my poor summer with. Someone who will lay on the ground with the windows open (a futile effort to let in the minimal breeze produced despite the fact that I live in the most notorious wind tunnel in all of the world) but it could be nice. We could listen to songs and talk about epic movies that have changed our lives and our childhoods and the things we'd do without money then, and the things we are afraid of and the things we want to do and we could make extravagant plans for the days when their will be money and the places we could travel to and the places we'd never want to go or the places we thought we'd never want to go but for some reason lately have been struck with an overwhelming urge to experience (Tokyo). We could talk about books (not that I read but maybe my poor summer companion could inspire me to)...Maybe we could go browse the thrift stores and find fantastic ties and hats and sunglasses and maybe even a monocle. A monocle would be quite the find. Perhaps he'll know a magic trick, I think I have cards. Or perhaps some good jokes, they don't require cards, but actually I'm not a huge fan of jokes. We could drink fabulously cold water from my filtered water pitcher which will probably be filled with little black specks because the filter needs to be changed and apparently little black specks are the result of old filters...but I've been drinking them and I don't think they are all that harmful...then we can eat free candy bars on free candy bar friday which I could only imagine how much of a hassle that would turn into when we would try to redeem our candy bar ticket's at 24/7 mart whose employees most likely were not informed of candy bar friday and would not understand my english explanation...then it could rain and we could sit on my stoop and get totally soaked but it would be okay because we would be so hot for lack of air conditioning that the rain would be like a refreshing miracle...and of course we would have already eaten our candy bars so they would not be at risk...and people would run to their cars and into buildings and look at us like we were crazy but in fact they just don't remember their poor summers when they did the same thing. Their is nothing better than getting stuck in a summertime downpour. One time, I saw Snoop Dog in such downpour in Chinatown...I swear....When the rain stops we could walk around the neighborhood and dry our clothes on the swings because is their anything better than a swing? I'm a fantastic swinger, but I'm afraid to jump...then it would be off to Whole Foods for a sample dinner and perhaps splurging on a .65 cent rootbeer. And we could walk past the guacamole with looks of longing yet hopeful that Archana bought some while we were out....we could sit on the balcony as the sun finally begins to set and we could watch the lights in the buildings turn on little by little until they were the only lights illuminating the sky. We could sip on coffee and pretend to be Italian and that our coffee was really espresso and that my neighbors backyards were really a European alley. Then I would think about the top of the Comcast building being filled with water and how ridiculous and barely believable that is. But then I'd probably just believe it anyways. Maybe my neighbors would be in their windows and we could make insulting yet hilarious commentary about their actions. It'd be a perfect time for a cigarette, if only I smoked. Maybe my summer companion would and he would let me hold his cigarettes between drags so that I could share in his coolness. The air would finally turn cool and we would bask in the relief that we had been longing for all day. Maybe I'd even have to bust out my Old Navy fleece....and he wouldn't make fun of it. Then it would be way too hot to sleep in bed so we would lay out a clean white sheet that smelled like those dryer sheet things, and realize that this poor summer that we once hypothesiszd to be the one of the worst and most uneventful in the history of our lives, will probably end up to be one of the most memorable. All in all it would be a great summer if only I had a summer companion. Oh well, I guess you can't go around hoping and looking for someone because then it will never happen. And plus, it's still May, the summer is young.
Until then, I think there are meatballs in my freezer. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment